6.04.2009

Behold the Penstemon Linarioides:














Deep Breath Out. I just completed my first botanical illustration earlier today! I learned a lot observing this plant, and through the intimate process of graphic illustration and close looking, feel like I got to really converse in a way with this important flower. The Navajo traditionally use Penstemon Linarioides in the form of a tea after mothers have given birth to assist the exhausted human body with uterine and vaginal contractions. This drawing and the plant sample itself interacted with me by giving off a comforting, motherly energy, and the very act of making the illustration seemed to symbolize some sort of birthing or new beginning. All of course are true every moment in an obvious sense, but it feels authenticating, as one who claims to be an artist, to actualize this innate desire to use creativity as a vehicle for learning how to approach and interconnect with native culture, botany, and the craft of illustrating from life.


Next I embark upon an illustration of Gamble Oak Leaves. A Picture of the Gamble Oak's leaves and their newly budding acorns will be posted along with some native insight into the plant's ethno-botanical uses once I am done with the illustration.

I'm still in a bit of disbelief about how I have found myself suddenly immersed in a few different Native communities here, with literally dozens of potential projects. Some good people here have really taken me under their wing. This coming Friday and Sunday I am going to take part in the planning and creation of a collaborative mural. A native art collective is spearheading the project, but anyone really can take part so long as they are able to work well with others and can let their creativity flow in a communal setting. I think this will be a good growing experience for me as in the past I have spent much of my time with art-making in solitude for hours upon hours; having the chance to create, draw, and paint with others seems like another attractive avenue by which to interconnect with native culture. The theme of the mural is predicted to stem out of the concept of "healing", which I'm really enthused about. It's such an important idea, especially for those who experience lots of pain in every sense of the word (emotional, spritual, physical, psychological, or what have you). I'm enthused not only to visually express my relationship with healing, but moreover to collaborate with others and hear about their various experiences. Healing is just such a crucial basis for being able to stand up and affirm one's place in the world, especially for those of us who historically and to this day experience marginalization and oppression one way or another.

I'm also excited about an excursion planned for this coming Saturday to head north up to the Hualapai reservation. I will be assisting Winter Sun with an ethno-botancial workshop oriented toward children. We will probably be wandering around looking and nibbling on different plants in that region, identifying their names and traditional uses among humans. Plus a veteran botanical illustrator will be there to show me some of her work and critique my own. This will be a great opportunity for artistic growth because this particular illustrator has killer techincal skill.

Tomorrow I am going to visit the Navajo Reservation with a few friends I have met while in town who grew up there. It seems that it will be interesting to be amongst peers that are Native Navajo as I will be able to listen to their stories about the reservation. I'm really upbeat about all these potentials.

That's all to write home about for now.

Your most humble narrator,
cameron zarrabzadeh

2 comments:

  1. Awesome illustration! Wish Penstemon Linarioicles had been available to me 21 and 19 years ago!

    Please post more photos if you get the chance.

    Expect the cords shortly.
    xoxo
    mamaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cameron,

    I'm trying another test post to see if I am still blocked from commenting on your blog.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete